Even a cautious driver can be involved in a car accident in Atlanta, Georgia. This experience may leave a victim with medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Help is available in these circumstances. An Atlanta car accident lawyer could assist you in seeking financial compensation if an accident resulted from another party's negligence.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Atlanta, Georgia
If you're ever involved in a motor vehicle accident in Atlanta, immediately take these steps:
- Confirm that you and your passengers aren't seriously injured.
- Move to a safe spot away from traffic. Don't operate your vehicle if there's a chance that doing so may be unsafe.
- Check to see if others involved in the accident are harmed. If someone in the accident flees the scene, commit identifying details (such as their appearance or the make/model of their vehicle, its color, etc.) to memory. Write down these details or even try to take a picture of the car as the driver flees if possible.
- Calmly exchange contact and insurance information with the other drivers. Refrain from confronting them in anger. Don't make any statements that might imply you caused the accident. Don't say you're uninjured.
- Report the accident by calling 911. In Georgia, the law requires drivers to report accidents when they result in:
- Property damage of at least $500
- Photograph the damage to your vehicle and your injuries. Also, take pictures of the license plate numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident and the general conditions at the scene. Take photos from multiple angles.
- Get the names and contact information of witnesses. Ask if they want to write or record a statement at the scene. Their memories may become less clear the more time passes. A statement they make in the immediate aftermath could be more helpful than one made later.
- Cooperate with the officer(s) investigating the scene.
- See a doctor right away. Do so even if you don't think you're injured. You may be hurt without knowing it.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
- Review your case with an accident lawyer in Atlanta. The negligent party's insurer may attempt to convince you to settle for less compensation than you may deserve. A lawyer can help you fight for a fair settlement.
Mistakes to avoid making after your collision include:
- Posting about your accident on social media or discussing it with anyone who isn't your attorney.
- Ignoring a doctor's advice.
- Corresponding directly with insurance adjusters.
Atlanta, Georgia Car Accidents: Important Information
Most of Atlanta is in Fulton County, Georgia, but some eastern portions are in DeKalb County. According to the Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety, Fulton and DeKalb are the two counties with the highest rates of motor vehicle accidents in the state. In 2020, 145 accidents in Fulton County and 92 accidents in DeKalb County resulted in fatalities.
Only preliminary data is available for 2021 from both those counties. That data doesn't indicate the number of fatal accidents from that year. However, it appears the number of overall crashes and crashes resulting in serious injury increased significantly in both Fulton and DeKalb counties.
Atlanta Auto Accident Problem Areas
Some areas and roads in Atlanta are more accident-prone than others. According to a study of motor vehicle accidents across Georgia from 2018 to 2020, some of the most dangerous roads and intersections in the state are in the Atlanta metro area.
The stretch of road with the most fatalities was Moreland Avenue from S. River Industrial Blvd. to Wylie Street. Rounding out the Top 5 are:
- The stretch of Georgia Highway 85 from I-75 to Springdale Drive
- The section of I-285 from the Bouldercrest Road exit to the I-20 interchange
- The section of I-285 between the Camp Creek Parkway interchange and the Riverdale Road exit
- I-20 from Panola Road to Candler Road
How an Atlanta Car Accident Attorney Can Help
Georgia is an at-fault state regarding auto accident liability. This means if you're involved in an Atlanta, Georgia car accident that someone else caused, you can seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and related losses/damages by filing a claim with their insurance company.
Strongly consider hiring an experienced car accident lawyer when filing a claim. An attorney may help you seek the compensation for which you may be eligible by:
- Reviewing your case and discussing your legal options.
- Investigating the accident. This is key to determining who caused it.
- Collecting evidence to show negligence.
- Determining what your claim may be worth.
- Filing a claim and handling all negotiations with the insurance company.
An accident lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia can help after a collision. To learn more, use Accident.com to find an Atlanta auto accident attorney for a free consultation today.