Orlando is a large, bustling city that attracts many visitors due to the presence of Universal Studios and Disney World. While we hope it doesn’t happen to you, a car accident in Orlando, Florida, is possible due to all the traffic. It can be a scary and stressful experience, and you could be injured and miss time from work.
Suppose you are involved in an Orlando, Florida, car accident. In that case, consulting with a car accident attorney as soon as possible could be beneficial. An experienced lawyer can guide you through possible options and pursue a fair settlement if warranted.
How to Handle a Car Accident in Orlando, Florida
If you are involved in a car accident in Orlando, there are several steps to take. The first thing to do is to see if you and your passengers are hurt. Get medical attention as soon as possible, even if you don’t feel any injuries. It’s possible to be injured in an accident without apparent signs of something wrong.
If you are able, do the following:
- Move the vehicle to a safe distance from traffic and make sure others involved in the accident are not hurt.
- Document identifying details of the other person involved in the accident in case they flee the scene. What did they look like, what kind of car did they drive, and what was their license plate number?
- Call the police and report the accident. State law requires the involved drivers to report accidents if they cause injury, death, or a minimum of $500 in vehicle or property damage.
- Always stop and share contact and insurance information with the other drivers. Don’t engage them with accusations or say anything that might suggest you were at fault for the accident. Try your best to remain calm.
- Take pictures and videos of the accident scene, all signs of vehicle damage, and any visible injuries.
- Ask for the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Always cooperate with the police.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
Consult a Florida car accident attorney before starting discussions with your insurance provider. An experienced attorney will help you understand your options and whether your insurer's first settlement offer needs to be higher. A lawyer can also fight for you in court if the insurance company isn’t dealing with you fairly.
When learning how to handle a car accident, there are several mistakes people make that you should avoid, such as:
- Speaking about your accident with people who are not your attorney.
- Not following your doctor's or medical provider’s advice or recommendations.
- Posting about your accident or case on any of the social media platforms.
- Speaking with insurance adjusters without your attorney present or in the loop.
Orlando, Florida Auto Accidents: Important Statistics
Car accidents are commonplace in Orlando, Florida, like any large city. According to state highway safety data, there have been almost 8,000 car crashes in Orlando’s Orange County from Jan. 1 through May 18, 2023. Of those crashes, injuries were reported in 4,530. These crashes resulted in 66 fatalities. Keep in mind that not all accidents are reported, so the number of accidents in Orlando could be higher.
State information also shows that Orange County ranked among the highest in Central Florida for total crashes per capita, with 18.36 accidents per estimated 1,000 people. Common elements in Florida accidents like heavy traffic, high speeds, and visiting tourists may account for the high rate of accidents. As one would expect, car accident rates occur at higher rates in busy cities than in places with fewer people.
Orlando Auto Accident Areas to Be Aware of
Florida was the fastest-growing state in 2022, with an annual population increase of 1.9%, resulting in a total resident population of 22,244,823. In 2022, Orlando emerged as one of the most rapidly expanding metropolitan areas in the nation, demonstrating its phenomenal growth by attracting a staggering influx of nearly 65,000 new residents.
Great weather, theme parks, and a growing population make for a lot of vehicles on Orlando roads. Some of the more dangerous intersections in Orlando to be aware of are.
- State Road 50 and State Road 436: It’s considered the most dangerous intersection in Orlando, with over 200 accidents in the past year. Known for its heavy traffic flow, it also features confusing lane changes.
- Colonial Drive and John Young Parkway: This is another high-accident scene known for high traffic and lane changes.
- Orange Blossom Trail and Oak Ridge Road: This intersection, located near several major shopping centers, gets a heavy traffic flow. Several fatal accidents have occurred there in recent years.
- Kirkman Road and Vineland Road: Located near Universal Orlando Resort, this intersection gets a heavy traffic flow during the height of the tourist season. It also has been the scene of several accidents involving pedestrians.
- Lee Road and Interstate 4: Also located near several popular shopping centers, this intersection is known for its heavy traffic and lane changes. It has also seen several fatal accidents in recent years.
How an Orlando Car Accident Attorney Can Help
Being in a car accident requires obtaining a lot of information and making many important decisions. That is in addition to recovering from any injuries you may have suffered. Therefore, it may be helpful to consult with a car accident lawyer in Florida for advice.
An attorney can help you in several ways including:
- Investigating your accident to determine who is at fault. Florida is a no-fault state, meaning it is unnecessary to prove another party caused your accident in order to pursue compensation. You have the option to try and obtain damages by filing an insurance claim with your insurance provider. Depending on your coverage, you might have to file a claim against the other party's insurance company if your injuries are severe enough.
- Assessing and calculating your losses, also known as damages. This is crucial in determining how much money you may ask for.
- Help with filing your insurance claim and handling all the required correspondence and paperwork. If a car accident attorney in Florida handles these tasks, you can focus on your recovery.
- Discussing and evaluating whether you should file a third-party claim/lawsuit.
You shouldn’t feel alone after a car accident in Orlando, Florida. Help is available. To learn more, visit Accident.com to find an Orlando auto accident attorney for a free consultation today.